Amino acids are complex compounds that are the building blocks of protein and can be used as an energy source by the body. Essential amino acids can’t be made by the body so they need to be acquired from food like meat and dairy product, however, if for any reason you’re unable to gain these amino acids from food, supplementation is required.The benefits of amino acids
Without consuming amino acids, the proteins within your body would begin to break down, resulting in a loss of muscle. This occurs as the body would need to use its own proteins to acquire those missing amino acids. We need protein to maintain healthy skin, bones and muscle. Essential amino acids are necessary as the body requires these to digest food, repair tissues and many other functions. For example, tryptophan helps the body to make serotonin, a mood regulating hormone. Furthermore, amino acids can aid weight loss. In fact, one study discovered that subjects who consumed a leucine supplement lost twice as much weight as subjects who given a placebo (1).The shocking truth about essential amino acid supplements
The US supplement industry is worth over $36 billion dollars (2) and many consumers purchase these products without knowing how they’re manufactured. Did you know that many amino acids/BCAA’s (branched chain amino acids) on the market are made from duck feathers, animal hair and even human hair? Yuck, right? A study by the American Food Journal of Food Sciences in 2013 discovered that BCAA supplements in the Chinese market sourced protein from pig fur (3). This information isn’t labeled on the packaging so you would never know.Why are these by-products used?
These elements are rich in keratin, which is a protein that makes our hair and nails strong. As its practically a pure protein, companies are able to easily acquire amino acids from keratin. The majority of companies producing this type of amino acid supplement are in China, but if you’re importing your supplements or buying them online from untrustworthy websites, you may be consuming one of these nasty elements. How would you feel if you knew you were unintentionally consuming human or animal hair?
Animal hair, human hair and duck feathers are used as they’re cheap and easy to produce. The next time you want to save money on your supplements, consider the risk. You might be saving a few dollars but do you really want to consume human and animal hair?So, what’s the alternative?
Thankfully, there’s a better alternative that guarantee’s you won’t be taking human hair with your breakfast. Fermented amino acid supplements are a much better source of BCAA’s than traditional amino acids supplements as they boast a wide range of benefits for your health.The benefits of fermented supplements
- Fermented amino acid supplements have increased antioxidant properties which aid your immune system and bone health.
- Better bio availability – enhanced amino acid bioavailability means increased absorption rates and better effects on the whole body.
- Improved gut health – fermented amino acids contain ‘good bacteria’ which enter your digestive system and strengthen the natural barrier between the blood supply and GI tract. It’s when this barrier is weakened that a leaky gut occurs. Therefore, with the use of fermented supplements, small amino acids (known as bacteriocins) are introduced into your body to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Fermented supplements are manufactured with the chemical process of fermentation, a process that doesn’t rely on the use of toxic chemicals.
- Boosted amino acid content –fermentation enables amino acids to be more available even in powder formulations.
- Healthy cells are supported as the consumption of fermented supplements help your cells to be toxin free.
- New nutrients are formed –Phytonutrients may be formed via the fermentation of certain plants and foods. A study in the International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition discovered that fermented fenugreek leaves created vitamin B12 (4).
Fermentation involves a process of lactofermentation – where natural bacteria ‘feeds’ on sugar and starch to create lactic acid. This method of preservation also forms B vitamins, probiotics, omega 3 fatty acids and enzymes.
Fermented supplements are far more ‘cleaner’ than traditional amino acid supplements. Supplements manufactured in China using ingredients like duck feathers are created via a hydrolyzed process. This has led to concerns with water pollution and contamination of heavy metals. On the other hand, the process of fermentation starts with corn. Over time, the process has gradually become cheaper and thanks to it eco-friendly attributes, could even end up cheaper than hydrolysis in the future.Aren’t fermented supplements more expensive?
No. You can purchase fermented supplements for around the same price as regular supplements. Considering you’re getting healthier results without the use of any additive ingredients, there really is no reason to buy low quality supplements anymore that may damage your health.Need more convincing?
Fermented amino acid supplements or BCAA’s that contain leucine, valine and isoleucine are perfect for using to build muscle. In fact, many bodybuilders use fermented BCAA’s to aid the digestion of protein. Protein is notoriously difficult to break down and if you eat a lot of protein, this can be converted into sugar rather than fat. Increased blood sugar levels can increase the bad bacteria within your body. Furthermore, more protein can result in slower digestion, causing digestive issues. By using fermented amino acid supplements, you’re feeding your body good bacteria and aiding your gut health. Thus, your receiving the optimal benefits of amino acid supplementation without any side effects or health issues.
If you’re searching for high quality fermented supplements that you can trust, look at the NutriChem Labs product line for complete blends and authentic ingredients your body will adore.References